Fermented Dilly Beans
1 lb of green beans, trimmed
3-4 chopped garlic cloves
1 T red pepper flakes
1 tsp black peppercorns
2-4 dill flowerheads or 1-2 T dried dill weed
2 quart mason jars
- Make a brine with a ratio of 2 to 3 tablespoons of sea salt to every 1 quart of water. Set aside.
- In each of the quart jars divide up the red pepper flakes, garlic cloves, peppercorns, and dill.
- Place the green beans on top of the seasonings, straight up if they are long and thin or sideways if thicker and cut into chunks. Cover with your brine solution up to 1 inch from top of jar.
- Seal tightly with a lid and allow to ferment on your counter for 3 to 5 days, tasting to determine when it has fermented to your taste. (It will get tangier as it ferments.) I recommend "burping" the jar once daily after day #2 by unscrewing the lid to release gas bubbles and then screwing the lid back on.
- Transfer to the refrigerator when your beans are at desired taste.