Fermented Squash Relish
1-2 lbs of squash shredded (hand grater works well)
1 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp dill weed
2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 1/2 T sea salt
1 qt mason jar
* Feel free to play with spice combinations. The above recommendations are just the beginning!
1) Shred squash and mix with spices, garlic, and salt in a mixing bowl.
2) Pack squash into 1 qt mason jar and press down with fingers or pounder until a brine begins to rise above the squash. Press until brine fully covers squash. Leave 1 inch head room at top of jar.
3) Seal tightly with a lid and leave on the counter to ferment for 2-3 days, tasting to determine when it has fermented to your liking. I recommend "burping" this ferment as well to release gas bubbles.
4) When your relish has fermented to your liking, transfer to fridge.